Rochford gas mains work 2020

As a result of the latest measures announced by the prime minister on 23 March 2020 to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus COVID-19, we will be postponing our work and closing down our operations until further notice.

In line with the government’s approach, we will review the situation in three weeks and take appropriate advice at that time. As soon as we have an update on resuming our work, we will provide further updates.

This page details the gas mains work we’re carrying out in Rochford as part of a programme of works replacing ageing gas mains with durable plastic, to ensure that you continue to have a safe and reliable supply.

Our work has a number of phases and will impact four key roads in Rochford:

  • Southend Road
  • Sutton Road
  • Rochford Hall Close
  • The Ridings

For further information about the phases of work and roads affected, please read the leaflet here.

In order for us to work safely, we will be using temporary traffic management, lane and road closures; suitable diversions will be in place. Further details on this can be found here. Throughout our work we will be providing you with as much notice as possible about what is happening and giving you all the information we can.

We realise that our work will inevitably cause you an element of disruption. But we’d like to assure you that we’ll be making every effort to minimise inconvenience to you and others in Rochford. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation during this essential work. In the meantime, if you have any queries or you would like further information, please contact us on 0800 151 2404 or email us.

If you would like to ask about making a small business claim, please call Cadent on 0845 757 3202 or email Alternatively, you can download an information leaflet here, or the claim form here.

For answers to your frequently asked questions, please see the drop down menu below. If you would like to ask a question, please email us by clicking here.

1. If my business has been financially affected by the gas work, how do I address this?

You need to make a claim directly to Cadent. You can do so by filling in the claim form – you can download it directly from this web page (see the link to the left of this answer). Please note that you need to meet certain criteria in order to be eligible – you can find out about these on the information leaflet downloadable from this web page as well.

2. Why is this work being carried out?

It’s part of a government-led programme to replace old metal pipes with a more durable replacement in order to ensure the continued safety of the gas supply, so it’s mandatory work. We recognise it’s disruptive and we’re doing everything we can to minimise the impact, including communicating as widely as we possibly can. If there are any particular issues you would like to bring to our attention, please email us on

3. Will the roads in Rochford be closed?

Yes, certain areas will have road closures and traffic lights to manage vehicle flows. However, we are carrying out our work in carefully planned phases in order to keep disruption to a minimum. You can find out where and when there will be closures and traffic management by reading the information on interruptions to traffic.

4. Will the work affect gas supplies in the area?

There may be an interruption for you. However, we plan our work to minimise the amount of time anyone is without gas. For the most part you will not experience any disruption to your gas supply. When this needs to happen, we will communicate directly with you and let you know when you will be without gas.

5. If I am off gas at any time, are you able to supply me with heaters if I need them?

Yes, we are. You can request these – and hot plates if required – directly from our teams. Our customer liaison officers will round to talk to people before work starts so you can ask them for help. You can also talk to our operational teams – we have dedicated customer contacts you can talk to; look out for their orange high visibility vests.

6. I need access to my property at all times – can you arrange this?

If you are living in a street affected by our work and you have any particular requirements, please let us know so we can take account of these. For example, if you have mobility problems and need full access to your property at all times, we can accommodate this, but it’s good for us to know about it in advance so we can have everything in place.